Friday, January 27, 2012

Project Patricia

I wanted to help some friends spread the word about a ministry that they are involved with.  It was something that I had never considered before hearing about it from them.  I'm talking about period protection for women in Africa.  We are so spoiled here in the states.  Women here have so many options for what to use and we're picky too!  I'll only use this kind, not that kind.  I can't stand that brand or that style.  And heaven forbid we find ourselves without something, we run to the store and quickly get the products we need.  Imagine that when your period comes you have nothing to use.  Literally nothing other than maybe some rags or nothing at all.  You're confined to your bed because of this. In Africa, girls have to miss classes every month because of this and end up getting so far behind that they end up having to drop out of school.  I don't know about you, but this sounds like a pretty awful to me.  My friends have started a ministry to help girls and women out with this problem. They are making washable, reusable, cloth sanitary napkins for women in Africa.  They send them with missionaries so that Jesus can be shared with these women as well.  According to their Facebook page each kit includes, "5 cloth, regular-strength, maxi pads, a travel waterproof bag, and a bookmark with the Plan of Salvation. When possible, we include the bookmark in their language, otherwise, it is in English."

I don't always get excited about ministries and causes, but this one just intrigues me.  I love ministries that meet the personal, practical needs of people while they're sharing the Gospel at the same time!  I think too often as Christians we forget that these needs are important.  We focus so much on the spiritual side of a person without taking care of their physical needs.  This is a very specific need that Project Patricia is taking care of, but it's one that is so important for so many women!  I highly recommend that you check out this ministry and look for ways that you could possibly help. 


www.projectpatricia.org

No comments:

Post a Comment