Monday, January 23, 2012

Day 8 of No Sugar

It's Day 8.  We've done pretty well going without sugar.  I think we've probably eaten more fresh fruits and vegetables this past week than we have all year!  That probably says more for how little we were eating before this than how much we're eating now.  Oh well....We're on the right track!  I'm so thankful for the produce market down the street!  We are able to get a lot of stuff from there and it's pretty good quality too!  We both feel so much better.  Chad was always so skeptical about going on this diet because he thought he wouldn't be able to eat any good food this way, but I've been able to show him that he's still getting to eat some awesome food, but it's way healthier!  I've lost about 3 lbs. so far on this diet and I think Chad has lost a little more than that.  The weight hasn't been falling off of me like it did last time and I was feeling discouraged about that, but I've realized that I was about 4 years younger and I was working as a nanny and chasing toddlers and walking around the city.  I walk quite a bit around here, but it's never as much or as often as I did in Chicago.  Thank goodness for the Wii Fit!  I'm able to work out and keep track of my progress on there!  One difference that I've seen between the last time I did this and now is that people don't look at me like I have a second head when I talk about trying to get off sugar and be healthier.  People are much more open to the idea and are realizing just how bad processed food is for you!  One thing that's happened which wasn't intentional was that we ate a lot less meat than we have in the past.  That also helps our grocery bill too!  We still like meat, but it's not something we have to have in every meal. 

Funny story...last week I went to the produce market to pick up some stuff.  When I asked to have my stuff double bagged since I forgot my canvas bags, the lady behind me in line offered to give me a ride.  It struck me as so odd!  In Chicago, no one would think anything of walking to the grocery store.  I worked at Walgreens for a while and people would always ask to have their stuff double or triple bagged because they were walking and or taking public transportation.  Even if we did have a car, I'm not sure I'd drive to the stores just down the street.  It seems like such a waste of gas to me.  We are really blessed to have lots of options when it comes to going to the store around here.  We have several chain stores and a privately owned grocery store/produce market/deli that has all sorts of specialty items!  People may think I'm insane for walking everywhere, but I'm getting exercise and helping the environment all at once!  It's a win-win to me! 

One of my husband's coworkers lost a 16 year old niece last night in the tornado that hit north of Birmingham during the night.  They were asleep when the tornado hit.  Her parents are in the hospital and I think are stable.  I talked to my husband on his lunch break today.  I guess the guy is trying to figure out how to get down to Birmingham.  I imagine his wife is anxious to see her sister and family.  I can't imagine how they must all be feeling.  Apparently their house was completely flattened but the houses on either side weren't touched!  It's so incredibly sad!  Please keep this family in your prayers! 

I talked to my dad today.  It sounds like my grandma's Alzheimer's is getting worse.  She was very agitated last week and kept calling my dad because grandpa wouldn't cooperate and take her home.  She is home, but she's very confused about the whole thing.  It's gotten so bad that my grandpa is willing to look into nursing homes because she's getting to be too much for him to handle.  His mind is all there, but his body is failing pretty badly.  I hate Alzheimer's so much!  My other grandma died from it and it was hard to watch her slowly lose all her memory!

No comments:

Post a Comment